steve

Default Building Notices

This is quite an area of debate I feel & I want to get the groups opinion on
Building Notice notification. I`m not talking about Full plans here - as
they tend to be a different kettle of fish - just a simple Building Notice
and Inspection.

In the past I`ve done several of these for works from removing load bearing
walls to replacement windows and boilers. Generally my opinion of the people
they send out to inspect have been favorable. More recently however when I
had a single window replaced and a change to a load bearing wall, the
council bod was clearly disinterested and didn`t even look at the window -
it could of been made out of cardboard for all he cared, and I began to
think what is the point of me wasting my time & money on the council if they
aren`t that bothered..

A builder (reputable) I was speaking to recently mentioned that he (or his
clients) only submitted notices when the works were major, as an example:
MAJOR:
Removing a load bearing wall
Replacing a boiler
Replacing several windows
MINOR
Moving a doorway in a load bearing wall
Replacing a single window.

The minor jobs he commented weren`t even worth notifying since they would
stand little chance of being noticed or found out (assuming they were done
to a satisfactory standard).
What I guess I`m trying to guage is there must be millions of jobs (DIY or
not) that are done yearly where Building Notices have not been made either
because the owner isn`t aware they must submit one or they don`t consider it
important because the work is of a minor nature? There will of course be the
small minority who don`t submit building notices because they know the work
won`t be up to the necessary standard, but for the purposes of this debate
I`m not interested in them (although the council would be!).

Steve (no I don`t work for the council)