Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default I'll never use an oscilloscope again

wrote:
"

** I remember watching that episode on B&W TV in Melbourne.

It was verrrry scary stuff ... "

Well we all knew it was TV.

Anyway, I watched a documentary on that show and it was somewhat interesting. they had to come up with a show every week, it as not like today, write some stupid **** and send it to the boys with the super MAC computers for special effects. Galaxy Man was a guy in a wetsuit with motor oil poured all over him and a few spotlights. They knew how to do blacklighting but that was about it with the double exposures.

But think, I think they actually had to WRITE the episode.

That was back when things took a bit of effort. I can't stand new shows, with their video tricks you think the telly is ****ed up and needs service. ****ed up color, green and white like a bad CRT. Jiggling, rolling and all that. the broadcasting equipment used to be designed to avoid that, that's why they had genlock.

I can't stand new TV or movies. So much special effects, guys jumping fifty feet up in the air and all that ****. Where's the goddam plot ? What was this all about anyway ?

But that is the way it goes, every year there is less and less keeping me here.

Genlock? TV stations had one or maybe two sync generators. If they had
two, there was either a manual, or automatic fail over function.The
video would jump to any external sync, if the input was used to attempt
'genlock'. That was how I transmitted a color ID from a B&W TV station
in the early '70s. For those who don't know, the H and V sweep was
slightly different for Monochrome and Color. I fed the output of a
Heathkit color bar generator into the sync generators, as well as the
video input on the crude RCA keying function of the Monochrome video
router. I also disabled the TV transmitter's chroma trap which was used
to prevent color TVs from trying to lock onto noise in the colorburst
range of 3,579,545 Hz. I did all of this, to prove that the station
could be converted to color.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.