Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bob prohaska bob prohaska is offline

Default unsticking aluminum bar in steel tube

Carl Ijames wrote:
"Jon Elson" wrote in message

bob prohaska wrote:

In searching for methods to free an aluminum steering stem
from a steel bicycle fork the ideas of using either auto

Just to wrap things up, the answer proved surprisingly simple. A hammer
and drift.

The key was supporting the steering fork against the hammering. To my
considerable suprise, two pieces of angle iron hose-clamped to the steering
tube gave the fork crown enough support to let the hammer do its work.

I did flood the parts with acetone and ATF the week before, and it doubtless
helped, but the angle iron crutches were decisive. The real surprise was how
simple and easy the crutches were to set up and use. I expected them to slip,
but one hose clamp sufficed to keep them in place.

There are a few photos at

http://www.zefox.net/~bob/bicycle/stempuller/

Thanks to everybody for helping me sort out the alternatives!

bob prohaska