volts500

Default 15 Amp circuit capacity

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news:qiEnb.209121$9l5.101766@pd7tw2no...

volts 500 wrote:

Tony, your argument holds about as much water as a tiny piece of pork

(fat)
in a can of "Pork" and Beans.......interesting how the pork is always

listed
_first_.

The reason why the NEC limits a continuously loaded lighting circuit
(defined by the NEC as a circuit expected to remain on for 3 or more

hours)
to 80% (that's 12 amps for a 15 amp circuit) is because the circuit

breaker
will start to nuisance trip when left on for an extended period of time

if
the full 15 amps is applied continuously, _not_ some ridiculous argument
about the minuscule amount of inductance in an incandescent lamp.

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
15A breaker won't trip at 15A.

It most certainly will trip, given time. That's the whole purpose of the
NEC requirement to limit a continuous load to 80% capacity.....prevent
nuisance tripping.

Depending on what kinds, it has to be
over 15A. The delay time is different. Just like fuses, fast blow vs.
slow blow. Like 15A fuse does not blow at 15A. Hardly any electrical
load is pure resistance. They're mostly inductive load. Never saw a
phase correcting capacitor banks in commercial buildings?

I've installed plenty of them. Try a synchronous condenser some time. _DO_
tell me the _correct_ required wire size (THWN) for a 100 kVAR capacitor
bank connected to a 3 phase 277/480 volt Wye connected system........that
is, if you know how to calculate amps for the given kVAR.

Inductance
causes surge when power is turend on. Tell me one pure resistive load in
any utility grid.

Tell me one pure inductive load in any utility grid.

In non-DC circuit we talk about impedance(combination of resistance and
reactance; sum of inductive and capacitive reactance)
As an example, again I emphasize example, not real figures,
a 60W light bulb has 6 Ohm resistance and 1 micro Henry reactance.
Impedance at 60Hz is root of 6+(2 x Pi x 60 x 1/1000,000). Definitely
more tahn 6 Ohms.
This thread is closed for me.
Tony

I can see why.