Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Slightly off topic Florescent lights.

On 8/5/2017 11:19 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 11:02:25 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 8/4/2017 10:02 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 10:58:24 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message ...

"Bob La Londe" writes:

I have a bunch of 8' cans hanging from chains in my shop. They hold two

"Cans" is not the appropiate term. Fixture is. Recessed fluorescent
fixtures are generally known as troffers.

***********

Not sure "can" is a proper term regardless. I've been calling any flimsy
sheet metal light fixture a "can" for atleast 40 years. Probably not going
to change anytime soon. My particular improper term "can" is intended to be
derogatory of its flimsy sheet metal nature.

I do have a box of light "cans" that are left over from the recessed
lighting I installed in my machine room. I don't think it says "can"
anywhere on the box either.

Recessed lights are commonly called "cans" or "can lights" because,
well, they look like cans.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/can+light?NCNI-5
^^^^^^^^^

I think most any recessed electrical box is called a can. When our new
house was built the building plans called for a "can" to be inset in the
closet wall to house the structured wiring. Alarm wiring, Ethernet
wiring, etc, By its shape you would thing it would be called a "box". ;~)

I've never heard of a "J-box" called a "can". I haven't seen a J-box
surface mounted on a finished surface, either (i.e. opposed to being
recessed).

Now you have. ;~) Wright or wrong, that is what the builder and
installer called it.