Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compact 3 Phase Motors 1/3-1/2 HP ???

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message news
Have you considered DC? Wide variety of sizes available cheaply.
Smaller size than AC for the same power. Servo controllers readily
available for reasonable money. Used with feedback, versatility is good.

************

Well, DC servo is an easy option, but I could (in theory) just use the
existing universal brush motor as a DC servo by slapping an encoder on the
spindle. I'm actually trying to get away from having a brush motor in an
out of the way difficult to service location behind the lathe (among other
things). I went ahead and ordered the AC Servo motor and control. The
motor body is only 60MM and supposed is a little higher power than the stock
UB motor. Priced at under $300 complete or a little more with straight plug
in extension cables its not much different than a DC brush servo by the time
you figure, motor, controller, cables, encoders, back emf supressor, etc.
Heck I could as easily have thrown on a closed loop stepper. LOL.