Phisherman

Default Furnace filters

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:54:58 -0500, "Greg"
wrote:

Continuing on this thread...

What do you guys think of the supposed "lifetime" filters that simply need
to be cleaned & replaced. I'm a little leary of anything that claims to
last a lifetime. The cost seems to be 5x-10x the cost of the better
filters. Anyine using one of these "lifetime" filters? If so, care to
comment?

--Greg

I've used the same washable filters for 10 years (over 120 washings)
and there are no signs of deterioration. I added some self-stick
rubber insulation to the opening perimeter so the filter makes a tight
seal. The cost is certainly more than the throw-away type, but there
is water usage cost for the cleanings. Bottom line is that there is
less dust in my house, so I don't care about the cost differences.
I've read about the washable filters that require electricity, but
mine are "passive" electrostatic. Works great.