Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "% Chance of rain"

On Wednesday, 2 August 2017 19:16:38 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 10:07:09 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 26 July 2017 20:19:09 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 13:15:11 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, 25 July 2017 19:18:26 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 11:55:29 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 20 July 2017 20:38:25 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

How about showers or inteminant showers or heavy downfalls, storms.

Yes, those are more helpful. But "20% chance of rain" means nothing,

It means there's a 20% chance of it raining. Which means that if there were 5 days like that then on one day yuo'd be pretty certain of it raining but not on other days. But you do need a functioning brain for such informatiuon to mean anything.

It's useless information. A light shower for 5 minutes or a heavy downpour for an entire day both come under that prediction.

Only as a percentage, you shouldn't just rely on a percentage.

That's all some sites give.

Then use a better site.

I can think of many days where it's just kept on raining. Clouds hunt in packs.

Which makes 100% a useless figure because it will never occur.

I just told you I can think of many days where it did just that.

But what does that 100% represent depends on the tim e you loko at it.
If you look at 100% at midday does that mean it will rain for 100% of time from the previous 12 hours and 12 hours in the future ?

And if it's 10% it'll mean it'll rain for 2.4 hours. But that doesn't tell you when either.

2.4 hours would be useful. I'd know how much water is going to fall.

No yuo wouldn;t not without some description such as light showers or heavy downpours, theres a differnce yuo seem to be sujeustimng that rainfall is a at a constant speed it isn't

But I'd know that I only had to cover my car boot stall for 2.4 hours.

But you might not know when the 2.4 hours will start or finish.
If you start at 7am when will you cover your car boot.

At 7am at 9am at 11am at 1pm at 3pm.....

What happens if it starts raining at 10am and stops at 10:10 it could start again at 11:10 for another 10 mins.

For example, I would still water my dried out garden if it was going to rain for 1% of the day.

Even if it caused flooding ?
You can;lt use percentages for such predictions.

1% of the day won't cause flooding.

Ok, why not say "today will have between 3 and 5mm of rain".

Because it doesn't mean much to most people.