View Single Post
  #31   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Transformerless PSU using a capacitor

On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 4:54:43 AM UTC, Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:

---------------------------

Sorry, I tend to err on the side of safety.
Things need to be isolated and that means a transformer.
A capacitive coupled device ? I would not have it in the house.

** Your toaster isn't isolated, nor is your hair dryer and a host of everyday appliances.

The only appliances that NEED isolation are electronic ones that have external connections to other devices. The rest can safely rely on being fully insulated or by safety grounding any external metalwork.

FYI: transformers do not automatically provide *safety isolation* unless that are designed to meet class 2 requirements. Very few off the shelf ones are.

Your constant posting of rambling drivel is getting worse - jurb.

You have way too many loose screws.

.... Phil

thanks to you all for that fruitful discussion.
As indicated by Phil its not all appliances that need to be duly isolated. A device like an automatic dawn to dusk light switch can be safe without an isolation transformer besides during the day the transformer's primary will still take some power and warm up.
I have also seen a Chines made portable radio set without transformer. It was boldly written on it "transformerless AC radio" apparently the manufacturer was boasting. A guy opened it to find out what was inside and showed us this cap drop power supply so he warned the friend against possible electric shock when he touch any metal part. the friend replied there were no metal parts so its safe. Not long before that he got zapped when he forgot that the antenna was made of metal. l am going to let him read all your post.
Thanks once again.
i ve asked him to read all your post