Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Bandsaw Issue

On 8/2/2017 4:14 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/2/2017 1:20 PM, G Ross wrote:
wrote:
Might I suggest that you use a longer threaded knob (longer threaded
portion) and add a "jam-nut" to lock the knob in position.

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 1:34:52 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
This is the knob for adjusting the top wheel on my bandsaw, to
maintain its being coplanar with the lower wheel.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

There is no locking mechanism for this knob, so it moves, unscrews,
because of vibration, as the saw is operating, hence, the wheels
become out of plane. The saw blade tracks too far off center of the
wheel. It would eventually track off the wheel, if I let it.

I taped it, but I thought to apply something like the rubbery stuff
that's on some nuts, to keep them snug onto their bolts. What is
that stuff, that's on those nuts?

Is cosmoline, that's on saw blades and router bits, the same stuff?
If so, I could melt some, for coating the coplanar knob threads?

If cosmoline is not the same stuff, might there be something more
readily available, in my/anyone's shop, that can be used for a
permanent application?

I suppose teflon tape could be used.... and easily reapplied, when
needed.

Sonny

It's not something that should have to be adjusted often, so why not
replace the knob with a bolt of the same thread with a jam nut as
suggested. Adjust it with a wrench, hold it in place and tighten the
jam nut. You might also use thread-lock in the little tube. I use
that a lot in places that do not require often use.

Not a problem if you do not take the tension of the tires between usage.
For those that do, more trouble.

And now having said that....... my Laguna uses a jam nut, Doh!. A jam
nut with a lever on the side for easy adjustment without need of a wrench.
Obviously I was picturing the tension knob.