Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A Better Hinge

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2017-08-01, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
"Steve Walker" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Build the hinge separately, then dowel and bolt it to the ends of
the
mold halves.

***********
Thanks for the suggestion.

One-piece dowel plus bolt:
http://www.palmerbolt.com/product/14...tripper-bolts/

Note that I have bought socket-head stripper bolts and
discovered that the thread was not truly concentric with the
shoulder.
(It might have been concentric with the OD of the threads, but the
PD
was certainly not concentric. Luckily, it was close enough so I
could
make it work, but the upper piece would cycle as I turned the screw
into
the lower piece.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I used them to assemble a lathe milling vise and had no such problem.
There was a slight variation in tightening torque but no movement.
The brand is "Precision Socket Screw, Inc."

Holo-Krome claims "perfect concentricity between threads and
shoulder".

-jsw