Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Sticky Garden Hose

On 8/1/2017 8:12 PM, Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

I've had some of my garden hoses get sticky to the touch after they've
been out in the sun for a summer or more. They get really
sticky...like they have tree sap on them, the entire length of the
hose. Bummer having to keep replacing 50 and 100 foot hoses. The
hoses in the backyard, in the shade, last forever.

It doesn't seem to matter what type of hose, vinyl or rubber coated,
they all get sticky after a year or so ex[posed to the sun.

What is going on, and any suggestins as to what type of hose to use to
avoid this? I have to have the hoses in the sun,

TIA

Googling tells me the stickiness is the vinyl breaking down.

I spoke too soon about rubber hoses also getting sticky...after reading
that rubber shouldn't get sticky, I re-examined what I thought was a rubber
hose of mine, and it turns out it was black vinyl, and was getting sticky.

The solution, you now know, is to buy a rubber hose next time.

Splurge and get a Eley Rapid Reel for it and it will last about forever.
I've had mine for about 6 years now and it makes life easier.
https://www.eleyhosereels.com/