Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chinese Repair Parts

"dpb" wrote in message
news
On 07/31/2017 8:15 PM, wrote:
The starter on my Ford Ranger pickup died. I looked on the internet
and found a wide range of replacements. The prices ranged from $38
about $150. The truck is old and will be replaced soon, so I
ordered the
cheapest. There were two places that had that price. One was in
Calif.
and from what I could tell tell the other was in Eastern Tenn.
Surprise
the place in Tenn. was a vendor thru Walmart. Since I am on East
Coast,
I ordered from Walmart. Another surprise, the tracking started for
place
in Mass. And the final surprise....
It was brand new manufactured in China.

It arrived late today and I put it on after dinner. It works fine.
At that price I was expecting a rebuilt starter.

Dan

I ordered a replacement alternator for the little JD 955 utility
tractor that Mr Deere wanted nearly $300 for rebuilt. It was about
$90 iirc; came w/ test strip and all. Worked out of the box but
died inside a week.

--

That's no fun. Could you get your money back?

When the starter pinion on my 1980's Sears garden tractor stripped I
unexpectedly found the replacement at the local hardware store.
-jsw