Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Transformerless PSU using a capacitor

Dave M wrote:

---------------------------

Are you trying to make a DC power source or an AC source?

** The OP is making a PSU for a relay the runs from the AC supply with no isolation using a series capacitor.

There is virtually zero chance he is using an AC relay cos they come in 120VAC and 240VAc versions.

Is the load the relay coil or a load that is being switched by the relay?

** The OP has told us: " ... the load is a relay ".

Obvious since capacitor fed PSUs have very limited current - but enough for many relays.

What kind of instrument are you using to measure the current, and how are
you hooking it into the circuit?

** We need to know what the circuit is first, many possible variations on the theme exist.

Is the relay a DC or AC relay?

** Forget the AC case.

If it's a DC relay coil, then just measure the coil resistance, divide that
value into the voltage across the coil and you'll know what the current
should be.

** Well, that will give you the average value.

If it's an AC relay coil,

** You are hooked on that wild card.

BTW:

The OP is clearly a novice and I hope he is aware how dangerous transformerless PSUs are to work on and takes all the precautions needed.

If this is a task set by his electronics instructor, big bad on him or her.

..... Phil