Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Stone.

On 30-Jul-17 11:20 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Brass screws are easy enough to get. Surely plastic wall plugs would be OK
with lime?

I would use bronze, rather than brass. Bronze screws are readily
available online. Plastic wall plugs should be OK if the stone is sound
enough to take the expansion force.

Ah - right. The instruction I have do mention bronze tools, etc. I'll
order up some bronze screws. They will go towards the centre of the block
which seems still sound.

I like bronze for outside fastenings. I made a pair of gates for a
driveway about 40 years ago, using silicon bronze ring barb nails. Apart
from the weather capping strip needing to be replaced after about 20
years, the gates are still doing good service for the current owners. A
custom made garden bench, not made by me and using brass fastenings,
fell apart after only 20 years.

Colin Bignell