Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Stone.

On 30-Jul-17 12:18 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 29-Jul-17 2:41 PM, newshound wrote:
Sounds like a plausible idea. The other thing you might think about is
ways to improve the keying. For example you could drill some holes in
the face to be repaired, insert plastic wallplugs, and then put in
some screws protruding a certain amount from the surface. I think I
would use stainless steel screws....

I suspect that stainless steel would not have enough oxygen reaching it
to keep the protective surface coating intact. That would mean it will
rust just as quickly as mild steel. I would use a non-ferrous metal
bonded to the existing stonework with epoxy resin.

Brass screws are easy enough to get. Surely plastic wall plugs would be OK
with lime?

I would use bronze, rather than brass. Bronze screws are readily
available online. Plastic wall plugs should be OK if the stone is sound
enough to take the expansion force.

Colin Bignell