Saravana

Default corian vs staron

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your feedback and the price
difference made me to prefer staron over corian. From the quote it
looks like corian cost 25% more than staron.

Saravana

(Vadim) wrote in message . com...
(Saravana) wrote in message . com...
I am in the process choosing new countertops. I checked the local
kitchen sales place and they were promoting staron over corian. The
price of staron seems to be 25% less than corian but as for other
features does anyone have ideas on it? If corian and staron matched
one to one then I might have to go with staron for its price.

saravana

I just got a Staron countertop installed. I asked the guy who made and
installed the countertop the same question. Here is what he told me:
1) All countertop makers buy Staron for the same price while Corian's
price to the countertop makers depends on a purchasing volume: the
more they buy, the cheaper it is. This make 'smaller guys' less
competitive. You will get more personalized attention from a small
installer, so advantage goes to Staron.
2) Staron is more heat resistant.
3) Staron is cheaper by 10% on average. The price depends on the size
of speckles. More it looks like real stone, more expensive it is.
Corian's prices seem to be more color-correlated.
4) The edge on a Staron board looks a little duller than the top part.
With Corian there is no such issue. I personally observed that but it
does not bother me.
5) Staron is a about 30 years 'younger' than Corian so it might be a
bit 'more advanced'
6) If needed, you can cut both materials on a table saw and clean up
the edge with a router and a 1/2" staright bit.
7) I have seen a vast number of Staron color samples so I can not see
Corian's advantage in that department.
8)You can not stain Staron with orange juice. Consumer Reports claimed
they could stain Corian. I tried both materials by leaving a juice
puddle on the surfaces for 3 days. To put it bluntly, either CR lied
or they shop in a Chernobyl supermarket for orange juice

Overall my installer prefers Staron over Corian. Me, I was very
impressed with the countertop. But only time will tell the overall
quality of the product