nightjar

Default OT - Monitors - TFT v. CRT

"Juliette" wrote in message
In article ,
"nightjar" says...

I started using TFT monitors almost as soon as they became available. I

had
one user who could see flicker on even the highest spec CRT I could buy

at
the time and, at a cost of £2k, the TFT cured the problem. When the

prices
came down to affordable levels*, I converted all my office screens and

my
home machine to flat screen and I wouldn't go back. I like the small
footprint and the fact that I can adjust height, tilt and swivel without
mounting it on a piece of heavy engineering.

We replaced my partner's CRT monitor with a TFT because I could
see the flicker and although he couldn't he was suffering rather
badly with eyestrain and headaches. Like yours, this wasn't a
cheap, nasty CRT - computers are how we make a living so we don't
cut corners on quality.

The Health & Safety Executive publication I checked at the time claimed
that, with CRTs, flicker was considered to be unavoidable for about 5% of
the population.

The TFT did cure the eyestrain and the headaches but the cat was
very annoyed as she used to nap on that monitor.

I would probably have built her a shelf with an electrically heated pad on
it instead.

Colin Bignell