Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving

Default Logic for or against the tire-rotation pattern X H X H

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 19:44:40 +0000 (UTC), Roy Tremblay
wrote:

What do you think about the 4-tire rotation pattern below?
X H X H year 1
X H X H year 2
etsetera

Basic assumptions:
Assume the alignment is within spec.
Assume the fronts consistently wear differently than do the rears.
Assume that F-B differential wear is symmetric per axle.
Assume the spare is a donut and therefore out of the picture.
Assume a rotation every change of seasons (about 4K miles roughly).
Assume bidirectional tread.
Assume whitewalls on one side (otherwise I could flip them on the rim).
Assume USA crowns, which is to say almost no crown most of the time.

How does the logic of this X H X H rotation pattern look to you?

Assume tires go on in year 1, front to back, numbered:
1 2

3 4

The first X-pattern rotation in Spring of year 1 gets us:
4 3

2 1

The H pattern in Summer of year 1 gets us to:
2 1

4 3

The X pattern of Fall of year 1 gets us to:
3 4

1 2

And then, finally, the Winter H pattern of year 1 gets us back to:
1 2

3 4

At the end of the year, with this X H X H pattern I devised, I think
the tires would have been on every combination but always as a set per axle
because my fronts wear differently than do my rears.

If I flip them on the rim, does that help in giving me rotation options?

Lets hope this is not another assume this and assume that diatibe -

The tire companies say rotation direction makes no difference if it is
not a directional tire, but many years of experience have convinced me
I will never knowingly reverse the rotation of my tires. I move them
front to back every time I do my seasonal tire change.

With directional tires it's a total non issue - there is an arrow
saying which way it MUST rotate.

I'll expand a bit - I have never had a tire that was not reversed
suffer a belt failure or tread separation. Every tread separation or
carcass failure I have seen in the last 40? years was either reversed
on rotation or subjected to extreme shock loads or overhweating from
running overloaded and underinflated.