Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2nd copy of car keys and fob?

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 01:29:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Thu 27 Jul 2017 01:02:08p, told us...

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 18:41:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Thu 27 Jul 2017 10:18:47a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

On 7/27/2017 12:27 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

I'm an old fart and pretty tech-savvy. I really like all the
electro bells and whistles on my new top-of-the-trim-line ride.

I especially like the rear cross traffic radar, the lane
departure warning (signal every lane change or you get a
beeping serenade), the collision warning/avoidance braking
system, and the adaptive cruise control that slows you down if
you get too close to the car in front of you.

I'm ambivalent about voice-controlling the Nav and radio and
answering phone calls with buttons on the steering wheel

What I can do without is 600+ small print pages in the "main"
owner's manual and another 350 in the "electronics" manual.

I like all those goodies too. In May we went away for a while
and took a 4,000 mile trip. Adaptive CC makes it so much nicer.
I set the climate control when I got the car 22 months ago and
have not touched it since.

Do you have the "auto hold" system for brakes? When you stop
you can take your foot off the brake pedal and the brakes stay
on until you touch the gas. It sets the parking brake when you
shift into park. Really nice in stop and go traffic that is more
stop than go.

We are both retired and our present car is 10 yeas old. We didn't
want to think about the possibility of having an expensive repair
within the next couple of years. We just ordered a new car from
the factory with all the bells and whistles that both you and Wade
mentioned, plus a few more goodies. I"m very tech savvy and David
is not, but I'm a good teacher. :-)

We decided within the net 10 years that one or both of us might
not be driving or not be allowed to drive, or worse yet, dead. It
seemed prudent to buy something now that we will enjoy.

I downloaded the users manual because it's in much larger print
than the book you get with the car, the same with the navigation
manual. I've already memorized most of the features in the manuals
so there should be a minimal learning curve. :-)

So far I've been able to balance the "stuff I enjoy" on a car
with
the "pain of high cost"
I buy nice, low mileage, relatively loaded mid-line cars for a
good price and maintain them, driving them 'till I either no
longer want them because they are getting ugly from rust etc, or
they are no longer economical to maintain. I strayed from that
formula 5 years ago when I bought my truck - a high milage,
lightly optioned 16 year old creme puff at a price I couldn't
refuse. When I can no longer do the maintenance myself, that's
when the formula will HAVE to change - but it might change sooner
depending how much longer the 15 year old Taurus lasts (only
1010,000km on it) or how fast the paint peals off of it.Ugly cars
don't get to sit on my driveway very long - and if making them
look good costs too much money or work - they are GONE.

Luckily we never see car rust in AZ unless it's come here from some
other part of the country.

Up here in the "interlaken" area of central Ontario more cars rust
out than wear out - even with the much better rust resistance of
today's cars, Not NEARLY as bad as it used to be though.