Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default 2nd copy of car keys and fob?

On 7/27/2017 12:27 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/27/17 11:56 AM, Frank wrote:
On 7/27/2017 11:38 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 03:49:28 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

We just bought a new car last week, if fact it is still in production
at the factory. I know we paid more for it than what we had planned
on, but is still within our budget, both purchase and maintenance.

We had not planned to buy a car until October, but the dealership and
factory were offering very good incentives which would not occur
again until the end of the year, and the interest rate was next to
nothing.
Since moving into retirement mode, I may eventually break my
self-imposed rule not to buy new cars. When the Taurus dies, if there
is a good deal at 0% or close, it would make more sense to buy new,
taking the payments out of the RIFF , than to take the tax hit pulling
money from RRSP to pay for a used one.

Just learned a couple of Canadian abbreviations.
Often of hear folks retiring and buying their last car, usually a
pricey one, to be stuck with an old car 10 years later.
I buy new and run until a repair cost is more than the book value of
the car. Did it last year.
Find a lot of us old folks buying new cars cannot or don't try to use
all the new electronic bells and whistles. Blue tooth, gps's and the
like are Greek to them. This key fob would also be Greek to them.

I'm an old fart and pretty tech-savvy. I really like all the electro
bells and whistles on my new top-of-the-trim-line ride.

I especially like the rear cross traffic radar, the lane departure
warning (signal every lane change or you get a beeping serenade), the
collision warning/avoidance braking system, and the adaptive cruise
control that slows you down if you get too close to the car in front of
you.

I'm ambivalent about voice-controlling the Nav and radio and answering
phone calls with buttons on the steering wheel

What I can do without is 600+ small print pages in the "main" owner's
manual and another 350 in the "electronics" manual.

Few years ago one son had a BMW with all the bells and whistles.
Thought it near he could just say, call Dad and call me or tell it to
give him directions. System failed and fixed under warranty and they
told him at dealer, it was good that it was under warranty as it would
have cost him $3,000 to repair.