Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default OT, Cleaning Out The Attic

On 7/26/2017 7:14 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 3:23:06 PM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
On 7/24/2017 5:18 AM, Frank wrote:

I'm considering one of those one box deals where you fill it with old
films, media and tapes etc and for a couple of hundred bucks get all
copied to modern media.

Which unfortunately dies of age 5-10 years down the line, or there is no
longer a device to read it available.

Once it's converted to digital you can easily move it to future digital media every 10 years, or as needed, with no loss in quality. If it's important, then it should be duplicated on different types of storage, cloud, etc. It's orders of magnitude better than old pictures that are subject to deterioration.

I've got 100 year old pictures. And I can see what they are immediately.
An old, even "archival" CD. What are you going to look at it on? If you
even bother.

I suspect most of such things will disappear.