Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Circlip pliers ...

On 22/07/2017 15:54, John Robertson wrote:
On 2017/07/21 10:49 AM, Arfa Daily wrote:
On 21/07/2017 15:55, Ken Layton wrote:
Here's what I use:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-combi...b lockType=G6

Sears has several more styles of snap ring pliers:

http://www.sears.com/search=snap%20ring%20pliers

Some are for both internal and external style snap rings while others
are for internal only or external only.

Have you actually used yours on the type of clip that I was trying to
describe - i.e. without actual holes in the arms ? My colleague was
trying to use some that look pretty similar to those that you linked
to, but they just slipped, even though they were an appropriate size

Arfa

In a pinch you could take a pair of needle nosed pliers and use those to
expand the ends enough to slip off. You can sacrifice the pliers to this
specific job if you grind the ends and cut a notch in them to fit the
thickness of the circlip. I use tools similar to these Clarke tools in
our shop:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/circlip-pliers/

Just spotted the following page which has a lot of info on various
circlips!

https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/...-is-a-circlip/

John :-#)#

Interesting. The design in question is the one they call grip rings,and
is the fourth picture up from the bottom. They say that these do not
normally fit in a groove, but the ones on my colleague's fan motors do.
I spoke to him again today. He has actually ordered a bunch of new clips
of the right size, so is now not too bothered about the originals
breaking or flying, but has ordered some new pliers that he thinks will
do them anyway. Just in case anyone thinks that pulling a small fan
apart is not worth the aggro, it turns out that these are fans used on
the bed of a printing machine, and are carefully speed controlled by
external circuitry driven from a tacho generator in the fan. The purpose
is apparently to 'float' the paper as it passes through the machine.
They are a custom designed fan from one of the major fan manufacturers,
and are over £100 each. There are four to a unit, and many units per
machine. So far, all of the ones that he has pulled apart and repaired
have had bad joints on the Hall IC in the tacho generator, and have
worked perfectly after resoldering, cleaning out, and reassembling. The
fans have high quality roller bearings, none of which have shown any
signs of wear so far.

Arfa