Posted to alt.home.repair

Default filling gap around water heater exhaust pipe and hole in wall

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 04:51:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 12:14:05 AM UTC-4, msartore8 wrote:
So our exhaust pipe from our hot water heater goes up from the unit, then
turns a 90 degree angle to exit the room through a hole in the drywall of the
back wall, to the next room.
In the next room it turns a 90 degree angle upwards and exits through the
ceiling.
The hole in the wall from the room the unit is in, is larger than the exhaust
pipe.
The previous owner had insulation stuffed around the pipe to clog the gap, and
a service man said that may be a fire hazard.
I'm looking to completely full this gap without causing a hazard.
Please coups someone link me to the proper solution to this problem?
Thanks!

The service man said it *may* be a fire hazard. Before I spent too much time trying to
find a "proper solution" I'd determine if it actually is a hazard or not.

Did he say why it *may* be a fire hazard?

Use rockwool, not fiberglass, and there is NO fire hazard.