Lar

Default Mice, Questions about D-Con and Traps

In article 20031025153033.20141.00000105@mb-
m07.aol.com, says...
1. Should I keep replacing any empty boxes of D-con with more boxes until there
is no more D-Con being eaten? (And presumably all the mice are dead?)

That is an option, keep traps located where they usually
run and keep monitoring them. Get a weather/animal proof
bait station and bait the outside of the home to help
keep the numbers from moving in.

2. Assuming I have one or two dead mice, how long until the foul smell is gone?
Mice can't weigh more than an ounce or so, so I figure it should dissipate in a
few days, but am asking the group for their experiences.

It usually takes about a week for a mouse. cold weather
it may linger on a bit more but not be as strong an
odor, the opposite with warm weather.

3. I've heard that using D-Con causes the mice to bleed internally and get
extremely thirsty. This causes the mouse to go outside and seek water sources.
Is the bit about the mice wanting to go outside true? Even if it is, I have a
floor drain in the utility room and a whole house humidifier drain hose going
into it, so any mice have all the water they need.

The bait is an anti-coagulant and the seeking water is
an old exterminator's tale...mice are one of the few
mammals that can live their whole life without drinking
water

4. Should I set out traps again?

"Sticky" traps placed in out of the way areas can be
effective, you just need to check them regularly.
--
Neat site:
http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/j...ienceopticsu/p

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!