Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Inline Bathroom Extractor

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 15:25:37 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

ooTricky Dicky wrote:

I am looking to install an extractor fan to remove vapour from a shower
and toilet niffs. Are inline fans better than ceiling mount fans and
where is the best place to locate the grill with the toilet pan and
shower at opposite ends of the bathroom. I would rather not site it
above the shower as fitting is a little awkward not to mention
claustrophobic owing to the shallow angle of the roof approx. 22deg.?

Inline are generally best, but there are good and bad ones around.

I would have thought that you would want the grille over the shower, for
best overall performance, but you don't tell us where the air is flowing
into the room to replace what you are extracting, which is another
consideration for airflow.

After recommendation here, I bought one of these:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...ENTslashT.html

Admittedly not cheap, but I was amazed by how quiet it was, I had to
feel the air to be sure it was running. You can't even hear it in the
bathroom, certainly not elsewhere.

It is screwed to a board across a couple of joists, and there seems to
be no discernable direct transmission. The mounting bracket includes
some rubber isolation material.

The airflow is far better than the (failed) cheap one it replaced. It
can push-fit into the pipework, and is readily removable for cleaning.

Chris

We have several of these (or near offer) to do extraction duties in two
bathrooms and the kitchen (plus a failed attempt to move warm air between
rooms).

The upstairs bathroom vent is over the bath/shower but still seems to keep
the atmosphere reasonably clear at dump time.

In the kitchen we have two vents, so you could always have two vents, one
over the shower and the other over the toilet, joined by a Y piece before
connecting to the fan.

In general I would put a single vent as near to the shower as feasible
because I think shifting humid air probably needs more flow than stopping
fumes seeping under the door.

Obviously half way between the two should work as a compromise. Only you
will know which of the two needs more air flow. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

---