Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tricky Dicky[_4_] Tricky Dicky[_4_] is offline

Default Dispute over new loft conversion

Our bungalow is the last in a row of link detached bungalows with carports linking each building. Our wall on our neighbours side is on the boundary but our roof overhang is over the neighbours carport as is the same for all the other bungalows. The flashing on his carport roof extends over the first row of tiles and tucks under the second row of tiles on our roof. The carport rafters attach to our fascia which having been up since 1975 is looking distinctly ropey. I would like to replace the fascia but cannot see how it could be done without dismantling the carport or supporting the carport on several acrows. The reason for the fascia ropeyness is that our previous residents nor our neighbour have bothered to paint them and the carport roof does have a number of leaks. There is a covenant in place saying we share responsibility for the drainage as our roof on that side drains onto the carport which slopes to the front where a gutter collects the water and feeds it to a down pipe on the neighbours side. His roof drains similarly onto the carport.

So far the only joint responsibility exercised has been with replacing the gutter and downpipe which our neighbour sorted out with no request for joint funding. What concerns me more is where individual responsibility ends and what happens if/when the fascia rots away causing a collapse of the carport. Yes it is his carport but we benefit by having half our roof drain onto it. Methinks sorting it will be a real payday for the lawyers. He has in passing said if the roof looked about to collapse he would dismantle it and not replace it we would be happy to fit guttering to that side of the house but it would mean our overhang would extend even further over his property.. I wish developers would exercise a little forethought when coming up with these sort of designs what the future implications would be. The original developers only interest in the properties now are to use the covenants in the freehold to rake in money. They charged the previous owners £400 when they asked permission to build the conservatory in order to "amend their records".

Richard