Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Dispute over new loft conversion

Terry Casey wrote:

Two identical pairs of semidetached houses. In the gap
between the two, one has built an extension with a garage at
ground level and bedrooms over.

I happened to glance at it the other night and something
struck me as wrong. It is obvious that the new end wall
exactly flanks the boundary line, so no problem there but
the edge of the roof and guttering, etc. overhang the
boundary line by several inches!

The extension was obviously built some time ago but, apart
from any other consideration, I wonder what would happen if
the neighbour wanted to build a mirror inage extension on
his side of the boundary!

On my street, because the ground slopes, the 1970s semis are
built with a difference in level between the halves of about 5
bricks.

Taking the dividing line as the centre of the party wall, My
roof, being higher has to cover the entirety of the party wall,
plus the usual eves overhang.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK