Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Dispute over new loft conversion

On 24/07/2017 14:39, Terry Casey wrote:
In article
,
says...

I live in a semi-detached bungalow. My neighbour has complained that the
dormer window of my new loft conversion overhangs the boundary between our
properties because it hasn't been built in exact accordance with the plans.

But I'd be grateful for any comments. Many thanks.

You'd just love an extension that's been built near me!

Two identical pairs of semidetached houses. In the gap
between the two, one has built an extension with a garage at
ground level and bedrooms over.

I happened to glance at it the other night and something
struck me as wrong. It is obvious that the new end wall
exactly flanks the boundary line, so no problem there but
the edge of the roof and guttering, etc. overhang the
boundary line by several inches!

The extension was obviously built some time ago but, apart
from any other consideration, I wonder what would happen if
the neighbour wanted to build a mirror inage extension on
his side of the boundary!

That depends on what if any legal rights the first to build obtained for
the "trespass" of the gutters over the adjacent land. But very possibly
there would be no particular difficulty as the new Party Wall Act
notice/agreement could cover the current gutter being replaced by a
valley gutter, and with the apportionment of the capital cost and the
responsibility for maintenance/repair.

--
Robin