Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Fewer flies around this year?

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 23/07/17 11:44, Huge wrote:
On 2017-07-23, Steve wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 11:02:45 +0100
Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Huge
wrote:

On 2017-07-23, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
There seems to be much less flies around this year,

Naah. I've moved on to "fewer" vs. "fewest".

Anyway, when you grammar nazis have quite finished...

Yes, there do seem to be sod all flies around

Its like rats leaving a sinking ship, they have given
up on Britain now that its leaving the EU, stupids.

- I get an idea by the body count in the conservatory. Not many.

Not seeing many wasps either - have to check on the bees... I mowed the
grass the other week, but it's currently producing its next crop of meadow
flowers (red/white clovers and buttercups and other random stuff I
deliberately sowed a few years back) - when they're all in flower, it's a
good time to check on the bee count.

Actually got a compliment from SWMBO for the meadow flowers. It's not a
very "lawny" lawn (though it does mow short quite well) and won't be
winning any competitions but it's nice after 2 weeks as it becomes lush
with small clover, yarrow and flowers.

When I rework the garden, I will probably nuke it and engineer it better
with the elements we like.

Slow growing grass to minimise mowing, lots of small leafed micro clover
(survives droughts) and plenty of wild meadow things.

Got a lot of wet patches and moss due to heavy clay so some of the
engineering will be to add land drain trenches. And probably several tons
of sand to make the top 6" less lumpy with clay.