Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default What is the realistic accuracy & precision of typical consumerMPG calculations (tripmeter miles/pump gallons)

On 07/23/2017 12:32 PM, wrote:
The accuracy changed a bit with delivery speed
on the mechanical pumps - can't remember if the change was that the
read higher or lower with reduced pump speed, but the variance was
quite low. The electronic meters were supposedly less susceptible to
volume arrors based on fuel velocity.

I haven't noticed if it is on all pumps but at least some of the ones
I've used have a sticker reinforcing that the gasoline is dispensed by
volume, not energy content. I've had a couple of times when I've filled
a motorcycle tank with cool gasoline from underground storage tanks on a
hot summer day and suddenly found I'd gotten more volume than I'd paid
for -- and more volume than the tank would hold.