Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What is the realistic accuracy & precision of typical consumerMPG calculations (tripmeter miles/pump gallons)

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 12:39:12 AM UTC-4, wrote:

But your numbers confuse me because they seem to be in cubic inches.

You are the engineer, son of physics majors - figure it out!!!
You also mentioned that metric pumps are more accurate, but that's
impossible, simply because the pump is as accurate as the pump can get,
which, we can assume, is a mechanical thing (and not a metric thing).

You fail to grasp the simple fact that a tenth of a liter is a whole
lot less than a tenth of a gallon???? Accuracy of READING the pump is
therefore about 4 times more accurate with a metric pump, because your
read error of +.1/-0 units is based on the much smaller unit.

Wrong. If a pump has an accuracy of 1%, then it has an accuracy of
1%. Whether what you draw is measured in liters or gallons.

All you're saying is that a liter is four times smaller than a gallon so
the error is four times less for a given liter versus a given gallon but
that's not saying it's more accurate. It's just saying the volume is less
so the resulting error is less.

and your engineer's understanding of accuracy does not equate to a
smaller error?????????

Per above, Mad Roger is right on that one. Do you really think a pump
that reads out in liters is going to be more accurate than the same
pump that reads out in gallons? It's just a math conversion going to the
display.

For an engineer, you sure have a poor grasp of the concepts.

I don't recall Mad Roger claiming to be an engineer. I think he
said he was a "scientist" with vague references to biology or
life sciences.

PS: Why can't you trim posts?