Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ** Tools Behind the Lathe **

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 11:48:19 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

** Tools Behind the Lathe **

It kind of makes me nervous to reach across the lathe to grab a tool, but
I've seen a number of shop layouts like this where all their tool holders
are on a bracket or a shelf on the wall behind they lathe. Sure its not bad
if you make 100% sure to stop the lathe every single time, but its really
easy to get into a project and just swap tools on the QCTP without shutting
down the spindle. Especially when you are doing a semi production part
where time is money, or you know the process you are doing and you are
trying to make proficient use of your time.

I have a fairly small machine room and for now the wall behind my lathes are
bare. The small 8.5x18 rests on a heavy tool chest with all of its tools
inside the drawers. It even has a few empty drawers for future tools,
storage of extra measuring, tools, parts etc.

The larger 14x40 sits on its own stand with a tool cart pushed back along
the head stock. When I am using the 1440 I pull the tool cart out next to
me so I can reach to the left and grab most tools I might need. Its fine if
I am just standing in that one spot, but often I am bouncing around between
machines and the assembly bench. Then the cart is in the way having to be
pushed back and pulled out constantly. As a result I often find tools
accumulating on top of the headstock of the lathe. If I could eliminate the
cart the machine room would have much better flow. Even if I wasn't annoyed
with myself about tools accumulating on the head stock it wouldn't hold all
the tools I might need for a project.

The answer some home shop machinist have come up with is to utilize the wall
behind the lathe for tool racks, pegboard for misc tools and even cabinets.
Like I said. The wall behind my two lathes in the machine room is blank,
but I do have to admit that when I was using the bench lathes on benches out
on the main shop floor there were pegboards full of misc tools and storage
compartments behind them. I never did have an accident from reaching across
the lathe. If I did you might be calling me stumpy. LOL. However, I did
not put the main lathe tools on the pegboard. They were usually laying all
over the bench next to the lathe. I wasn't reaching across the lathe to get
a lathe tool usually.

I am curious what other folks think about utilizing that wall space. Do you
think its dangerous.

This video of this guys shop shows what I am talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1U8Y3Qevmo

This is what I do....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YA3JLFoZSnccuLVp2

---