Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default What is the realistic accuracy & precision of typical consumerMPG calculations (tripmeter miles/pump gallons)

On 07/22/2017 11:52 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/22/2017 1:38 PM, rbowman wrote:

I should look at the instantaneous readouts versus mph to see if the
mpg falls off gradually or if there is an efficiency sweet spot around
65-70. Except for around the cities the interstate speed limit in this
and some of the adjoining states is 80. Drive 65 at your own risk.

I tried that one day on a flat stretch so there would be little
variance. This was on my regular trip to work. Speed limit is 65. One
day I did 70, the next 65, then at 60 is was dicey, the next day I tried
55 for about 30 seconds and decided not to risk my life.

I forget the details, but 60 was better than 70 by a couple of mpg.
Problem is, I prefer driving 75. If I could get away with it I'd go 85+
but don't want to pay the fines.

At under 70 my car usually is in the 35 mpg + range; at 80, it is more
like 32. I get even better mileage in Oregon with its 55 mph speed
limit. I also get bored out of my mind. There isn't a whole lot of
anything between Ontario and Bend but I figure as soon as I get up to a
decent speed a OSP cruiser will materialize from the sagebrush.

That stupid speed limit is the least of Oregon's problems.