Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What is the realistic accuracy & precision of typical consumerMPG calculations (tripmeter miles/pump gallons)

On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 10:31:27 PM UTC-4, Mad Roger wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 19:56:37 -0500,
dpb wrote:

NO! That is not at all what any of those people said.

OK. Maybe I got it wrong.

Still, some people claim 19.5 miles per gallon, which I posit is an
impossible level of precision given the tripmeter/pumpmeter method, even
when taken over 10 tank fills.

Most tripmeters don't even have a decimal place, so, you can't include
decimal points in the calculation.

Math challenged too, I see. I have 3 apples. I take one away.
What percentage is left? According to the above, I can't determine
that what's left is 66.66%

You certainly can include decimal points, the accuracy is affected
by the total distance traveled. If you travel 10 miles, then yes
the fact that you don't have tenths has a big effect. If you
drive 100 miles it matters by an order of magnitude less. If
you travel 10,000 miles, three orders of magnitude less and you
have several decimals of precision.

Worse, the fill-level estimation is crude at best, where again, there is no
decimal point.

No, worse is that it's been explained to you by what?, 3 people now,
that by filling the tank many times on a longer trip, the fill level
issue only matters on the last fill and the inaccuracy due to that
is greatly reduced by all the other fills being measured by the gas
pump, which is highly accurate.

It's a mathematical fact that if your measurements don't have decimal
points in them, then your answer can't have them either.

See the above examples.

Anyone quoting MPG with a decimal point has to first get those decimal
points into the measurements!

Just stop already.