Posted to alt.home.repair
Mad Roger Mad Roger is offline

Default What is the realistic accuracy & precision of typical consumer MPG calculations (tripmeter miles/pump gallons)

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 21:03:45 -0400,
wrote:

and exactly how is that germaine to the issue at hand? The speedo
means NOTHING. All we care about is the ODO - which will ALWAYS be
consistent, even in inaccuracy - so can be easily compensayed

While the odometer has a decimal place, the tripmeter generally does not.

So anyone using the tripmeter/pumpmeter calculation has no scientific right
to include the decimal place in the mpg calculation.

It's (mathematically) impossible to calculate 19.5 mpg when the tripmeter
reading doesn't have a decimal place.

Likewise, it's (mathematically) impossible to calculate 19.5 mpg when the
fill-level estimation isn't accurately known to some vague concept of less
than a gallon.

The only reading, if the three required, that is reasonably accurate
(someone quoted some figures already for the pumps, which I appreciate), is
the pumpmeter itself.

But that pumpmeter reading is completely dependent on the fill-level
estimation, which isn't known to any reasonable degree of accuracy.

I agree the way to get around the horrible fill-level inaccuracy is to
average over numerous tankfulls, which helps greatly, but doesn't eliminate
the two major inaccuraciesa which make it impossible for a mom-and-pop
tripmeter/pumpmeter calculation to have a decimal place in the result.