Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Acer , this time

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 10:48:20 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 7/21/2017 10:09 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:32:56 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:06:29 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

But usually if it tries and can't boot it moves on to other boot choices.
Terry never said he had another choice. Try again.

It still moves on to other (nonexistant) choices - will it boot to a
CD? or a stick?.
Can't remember, did he ever get it into the bios setup mode? If not,
my somewhat educated guess is someone bricked the computer attempting
to update the bios. The probability of it being a "custom" bios is
somewhere between extremely unlikely and nil. The beep code pretty
much indicates a hardware problem of some sort - first thing I would
try is pull ALL of the ram and install one stick of known good
compatible ram. See if that gets rid of the beep.
If it's much deeper than that, for that machine, it's not worth
spending any more time or money. Keep the hard drive, battery and
power supply for another project, or keep the whole thing for parts
and find another of the same model (you have a keayboard and display
that works - find one with a bad display, keyboard, or battery cheap)

I got it into BIOS setup , and changed first boot device to CD/DVD ,
No joy . Turns out the keyboard was bad , down arrow key was stuck
closed so I was working with a USB keyboard/mouse . Also turns out the
CD/DVD drive is bad , won't read anything at all . Beeps were a result
of the keyboard . So I set it to boot from USB CD/DVD , wouldn't work ,
so I tried to boot from USB hdd . WinXP Pro/32 bit , Vista Ultimate/64 ,
and Win7/64 all did the same thing - start to boot then restart from
scratch . I figure at this point that the motherboard is bad too , so
I'm done with it . Discovered that the DVD in the drive when I started
is Win7 Ultimate/32 , and someone has been inside this unit because
there are a bunch of screws missing . Somebody apparently just assembled
a bunch of bad parts and , well ... emailed the kids , and was told to
toss it or keep it for parts . At this point the only parts I'm sure are
good are the screen and the hinges - hdd is probably good , because I
could initialize and format it using a peripheral hookup to another comp
. Power supply , CPU probably , maybe the wifi board . I might see if I
can get a few bucks out of the local comp shop for it . Probably laugh
me out the door ...
--
Snag

I've replaced a lot of laptop keyboards and it's quite easy and the keyboards are available on Amazon for as little as $10.00. You can probably find specific instructions for replacement on someplace like YouTube. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Top Monster