Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Window A/C unit - drill holes in water pan ?

On 7/21/2017 6:14 PM, monkey wrote:
replying to TURTLE, monkey wrote:
"If all possible, try to live with the water in it every year and deal
with."

What about the problem of the bottom of the coil "rusting out"? I've had a
relatively brand new unit (2 yrs old) fail because of the bottom inch or
so of
the rear coils oxidizing to the point of it freon leaking. Both the copper
pipe and the aluminum fins disintegrated into white and green paste!

The drip pan is usually about 1/2" deep. You have bigger problems than
water in the pan to get that much oxidation. I've never seen one go as
you describe.

Many a new AC was made into scrap by people drilling holes in the
bottom. 13 years later, the advice not to drill still holds.