Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Acer , this time

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 21:50:48 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

It's an Aspire 7540-1317 laptop , and it belongs to my daughter .
They got it in a storage bay auction , and it apparently was used as a
terminal - no OS . I had to initialize the hdd , but it won't access the
BIOS/setup screen .

It pops up an error screen as follows :

Broadcom UNDI PXE 2.1 v11.4.1 followed by a copyright etc

then :

Base Code PXE 2.1 v1.1.0

PXE E61 media test failure check cable

PXE-MOF exiting broadcomPXE ROM

OS not found

I want to install a copy of Win7 Pro 64 bit so my 2 youngest grand
daughters can use it for their school work , any help will be appreciated .

BTW , they also got in that auction a Netgear ProSafe 8 port gigabit
network switch model GS108 and a uverse WAP model VEN501-AT which both
followed me home . They had no use for these ... and I'm thinking the
switch will work for my home network wiring , the WAP will be used to
enhance the wireless link to my shop . Also included in today's haul was
a 12V/3 amp power supply that will replace the burned out original
supply for my buried wire dog containment fence system . SCORE !

--

Snag

It has been a while since I screwed with an Acer but I think F2 gets
you to BIOS. Then turn off boot on LAN and be sure the CD is in the
boot sequence. On the BIOS screen you may be best to just reset to
factory defaults. It might even be worth pulling the CMOS battery and
using the reset jumper if all else fails.
A lot of these "medialess" clients turn off a lot of stuff you will
want, to keep people from loading their own software.
Your W/7 should have disk tools to prep the hard drive and rock on.