Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What's the performance difference between 15 inch, 16 inch and 17inch tires (all else equal)?

On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 8:14:37 PM UTC-4, Mad Roger wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 12:10:52 -0700 (PDT),
trader_4 wrote:

There is also the saying that loud pipes save lives.

Looking up the most common types of fatal motorcycle accidents, it seems
that cars almost never rear end a motorcycle (5%).

About three quarters of the fatal accidents occur as head-on collisions,
with the other quarter being mostly the motorclists losing control of their
bike on their own.

Half of the accidents are when cars turn left into the motorcyclist.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ses-30330.html

There's nothing there about loud pipes but obviously visibility is always a
critical factor.

Did you really expect there to be something about loud pipes?
The only way you'd find that was if there was an actual study.

If you look at common causes of crashes, almost none of them would be
avoided by loud pipes (e.g., losing control of the bike).
https://www.bestmotorbikejackets.com...cle-accidents/

Yet you just said that half of all accidents occur with cars turning
in front of bikes. If the bike is loud, it seems that there is a
better chance the car driver might notice it coming, from 100 ft
ahead, instead of turning
in front of it. That happens very frequently, a car is waiting to
make a turn, a bike is coming in the opposing lane, and they just turn
in front of it anyway, as if the bike did not register with their brain.

I don't know if that's true or not, but it seems logical that
drawing attention to the fact that a MC is there, is a benefit,
because most of the car and bike accidents occur when the car
driver for whatever reasons, behaved like the bike never registered
in their mind.

I did a quick skim of the common types of motorcycle accidents
http://www.mackesysmye.com/articles-...ycle-accidents
https://www.habbaspilaw.com/5-common...cle-accidents/

Where most, if not almost all of them, wouldn't make any difference with or
without loud pipes.

Give it up already. Don't you have anything better to do?
Now your trying to read tea leaves. You don;t have any valid
data to even begin to work with.

Given that light moves faster and further than sound
(so to speak), one has to wonder if someone doesn't "see" you coming the
other way (which is the most common and most dangerous crash), are they
really going to hear you while they're in their luxurious cage?

Doubt it.

Well then let;s remove the sirens from emergency vehicles and just
go with the lights.

But I'm open to research that says otherwise.

It's interesting that I looked at about a dozen articles, almost all of
which suggested how to avoid the accidents, where none suggested loud
pipes.

Good grief.

https://rideapart.com/articles/10-co...-to-avoid-them

Of course, there are plenty of articles titled
"Do loud pipes save lives"
https://motorbikewriter.com/challeng...-pipes-theory/
http://motorcyclesafetynews.com/?p=878
http://motorcycleintelligence.com/do...ve-lives/1119/
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...t-1-45969.html

Yikes! Look at just that *last* article.
"The truth behind such a claim disproves this myth on so many levels:
simple, common physics,

Yeah, and you know all about physics, right? So tell us by what
physics are you able to determine that a noisy bike isn't more
noticeable to others than a quiet bike?

From idiots like this:

"With the air/ gas jest directed towards the rear of the bike, it's there where all the noise goes. "

Who should I believe, that idiot or my own ears. Sure more of the noise
will go behind the bike, but anyone who's been around a hog coming at
them on the road knows that you can hear those loud pipes coming at you.
Sirens would be of no use on emergency vehicles if that were the case.
In fact, what we again know from physics is that this guy is an idiot.
What you actually have is the doppler shift. There would be no doppler
shift from a noisy vehicle coming towards you, only silence if the
above BS was true.

What you have there are pure opinion pieces, laced with factual BS.
You're one of the sad cases that thinks whatever they find on the internet
on some jazzed up websites must be true because someone posted an
article. Yet when someone tries to explain the actual physics to you,
like I did in the earlier part of this thread, you just ignore it and
go on to the next fluff piece. Sure, you're a "scientist". ROFL

common sense or plain reason can bring in countless
reasons because this is just a myth.

How far did your common sense and intuition get you in the earlier
part, about wheel size and torque and work/energy?

Let's tread the path of physics a bit
and analyze what's happening from a strictly mechanical point of view."

You can read them, but I skimmed them, with the result being it's a myth.

It would be nice if you were a myth.