Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default "% Chance of rain"

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 23:00:39 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 12:22:20 +0100, Ash Burton

What do you believe weather forecasters mean when they say "40% chance
of rain"?

1) It will rain for 40% of the day.
2) There's a 40% chance it will rain at some point.

I googled it and apparently it depends on the forecaster? 1) and 2) are
completely different meanings.

I think it means 2

So pretty useless then. I have no idea if it will be for 20 minutes or
the entire day.

Pretty useful actually. If it is likely to rain, you know not to go out
without a coat or umbrella,

Most people don't care if they get a light drizzle for 10 minutes, but do if it pours for 3 hours.

drive an open topped car

Again, I'd take the open topped car if I knew it was only going to rain for small periods. I can always close the lid.

or start an outdoor
event that could instead take place indoors.

Again, a sport like football or tennis doesn't have to stop for a bit of rain, but it would for a lot if the ground got waterlogged.

It matters little whether
it rains for 20 minutes or all day if you are going to get soaked pat
way through.

But you don't get soaked if it's only a short shower.

You are correct that there are many other things where the period it
will rain for is more useful than the likelihood though.

Every thing.

--
Freeze mother stickers, this is a **** up!