Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default "% Chance of rain"

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 22:18:13 +0100, bert wrote:

In article ,
whisky-dave writes
On Thursday, 20 July 2017 15:39:29 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
whisky-dave expressed precisely :
When they explained it on the TV durign a weather documentary they said it
wass the chance of rain andn showed how they calculated it.
In waether there';s a few things that can happen due to changign Highs and
lows and various 'gulf' type streams the forcaster can guess which will
effect which but it's a probabilty rather than a known outcome, so
they use
the % term.

I suppose they could use odds like bookies.

I was wondering about that yesterday, reading the local forecast. It
was showing various percentages for each hour, 20%, 30%, 40%, 70%. Even
threats of thunderstorms. Does the first 20% mean that there is a 20%
risk of some rain within that hour, or something else?

I guess that what it means, perhaps some may think that it means
there's a 20% chance of rain in their lifetime, how anyone would come
to that conclusion escapes me, but there's some on here that think the
new doctor who is a women ;-)

She's reproduced already?

Time travel innit? She's present in two or more times at once, so she's a women.

--
"Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries."