Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default "% Chance of rain"

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 16:08:28 +0100, NY wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
What do you believe weather forecasters mean when they say "40% chance of
rain"?

1) It will rain for 40% of the day.
2) There's a 40% chance it will rain at some point.

I googled it and apparently it depends on the forecaster? 1) and 2) are
completely different meanings.

Given that it includes the word "chance" (ie probability) I'd interpret it
as the second meaning: if (hypothetically) you replayed the day many times
(Groundhog Day!) then approx 40% of the occurrences of the day would have
some rain.

Which is of no use to me whatsoever. Pouring with rain all day is nothing like spitting for half an hour. Yet they don't distinguish between the two. There should be a measurement where 0% means no rain at all, and 100% means rain all day.

--
Love is complicated machinery.
But sometimes all you need is a good screw to fix it.