Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default What's the performance difference between 15 inch, 16 inch and 17inch tires (all else equal)?

On 07/19/2017 03:52 PM, wrote:
I'll admit putting the 16 inch torque thrusts on my Ranger was
"mostly" for looks - the 14 inchers didn't look like they belonged in
the large wheel openings, particularly with the higher 4700 gvwr
suspension the truck came with ( it sits about the same as a 4X4), and
the rather rare 16 inchers became available at a good price - - -

I didn't change the wheel size but the OEM tires on my F150 looked
pretty stupid. After they wore out I've always went for meatier tires on
the same rims. The downside is the truck sits higher and working on the
engine isn't quite as convenient.

I ran bias plies until they got to be very hard to find. Rough, noisy,
and with sidewalls you could bounce volcanic rock off of all day.
Radials have gotten better but they used to have very tender sidewalls.