Posted to alt.home.repair
Mad Roger Mad Roger is offline

Default What's the performance difference between 15 inch, 16 inch and 17 inch tires (all else equal)?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 22:34:44 -0400,
wrote:

The reality is that it seems the variables I tried to keep out of the
original question (for example tire width, tread pattern, rubber material,
inflation pressure, unsprung weight, etc.) can make more of a difference
than does the larger diameter tire.

Don't bother arguing with Trader - he's CLUELESS

I can tell who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't so thanks
for the warning.

Pretty much if someone says something (even me) without backing it up with
a reference, it's just hearsay.

Nothing wrong with hearsay - but it's not believable unless it's
accompanied by some believable reference.

Even what I say isn't believable (even to me) unless I can back it up with
a reliable reference (I don't trust my intuition more than I trust anyone
elses' intuition).

Heck, my intuition tells me that time is invariant, but Einstein's
equations prove my intuition wrong, so I have to accept facts contrary to
my intuition.

My original intuition was that there was some measurable and meaningful
benefit of the larger diameter fitment - but in the end - it appears -
there's no good reason (in most cases) to have larger diameter fitments.

If one were to control all the random variables, then they "might" get
something good out of the larger diameters - but it would take a lot of
control over relatively difficult variables (like the torque curve of the
engine).