Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What's the performance difference between 15 inch, 16 inch and 17inch tires (all else equal)?

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 5:07:22 PM UTC-4, Mad Roger wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 11:22:48 -0700 (PDT),
trader_4 wrote:

That's crazy! Where on earth did that come from. 1" diameter increase
would only cause that change if you started with 4" O.D. tires.

Yeah, that number seems suspect to me too.

I made a mistake in quoting the loss of torque due to a one inch increase
in diameter. The 25% loss in torque was due to four inches in diameter.

That means the loss in torque at the contact patch is less than that for
one inch increase in diameter.

It's still a loss in torque though, which itself isn't doing the fuel
mileage any favors.

Again, you're still conflating torque with energy.