Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wired/Wireless

On 7/19/2017 2:24 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Terry Coombs posted for all of us...

It turns out that the roll of "speaker wire" my friend gave me when
cleaning out his shop is actually cat5e ehtenet cabling . So , I'm faced
with a decision - I have 400 feet of this stuff , which is plenty enough
to wire my whole house for internet connections . On the other hand ,
wireless is much cleaner and easier to move computers around if we
change the layout of our furnishings . Or maybe a combination , since
some comps already have a wireless card and some don't - and the one out
in the shop has a card but signal strength is iffy at times . Not much
worry here about getting hacked , a stranger down here in The Holler
would be questioned - and the hacker would have to be in my driveway to
get any kind of signal at all so ...

--

Snag

I have not read all the posts so you decide. If you intend to alarm the
house you could use it for that...

My alarm system has 4 legs and will weigh around 85 lbs when he's
fully grown ... seriously , down here in The Holler there are only half
a dozen houses , and we all watch out for each other . 'Most everybody
is well armed , and a stranger is checked out - "Hey Bubba , was that
blue truck headed for your house ?" "Nah , he pulled in to Tim's
driveway , it's his brother-no-good-in-law ."

I'll be pulling 2 runs each to the dining room , bedroom , and a
couple of places in the living room . Picking up my son's crimper when
we deliver the g-kids back to Memphis tomorrow along with a handful of
connectors (and payment for the 3 qts of honey I delivered last week) .

--

Snag