Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default What's the performance difference between 15 inch, 16 inch and 17 inch tires (all else equal)?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 13:42:19 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 07/19/2017 11:42 AM, Mad Roger wrote:
Likewise a wing in the rear has a genesis in actual aeordynamic theory so I
understand that people want the look of a fast car (although at 60mph, a
wing is probably just for looks).

I owned a '60 Plymouth which was the bitter end of the fin craze.
Plymouth even referred to them as stabilizers:

http://www.allpar.com/history/plymouth/1960.html

I never managed to get the car up past 110 and didn't notice any more
stabilizing effect than my '65 Dodge which was back to the basic 3 box
model:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_...5.E2.80.931967

Style is style. I did go to an outlaw kart race a couple of weeks ago
and found out the real use for the wings -- when they roll the wind up
on their side with the wing preventing them from going over completely.

These guys just use the " wings " for advertising .. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDqr...ature=youtu.be

I remember the super-modified races at Flamborough S. Ontario
in the early 1970's .. their brakes were glowing red at the end of
the feature ! I don't know how they avoided fires ?
The cars were akin to go-carts - but with big modified V8 engines.

Maybe MadRoger could scientifically analyse the wheels -
- different sizes - IIRC -
- left vs right due to the banked corners ! :-)

John T.