Posted to alt.home.repair
Mad Roger Mad Roger is offline

Default What's the performance difference between 15 inch, 16 inch and 17 inch tires (all else equal)?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 12:45:50 -0700 (PDT),
trader_4 wrote:

You keep saying "our intuition" when it's clear that both Bob F and
I don't agree with your intuition.

That was a mistake on my part to intuit what you intuit.
I can't possibly know what your intuition is.

I just want reliable facts anyway so your or my intuition doesn't matter.

(My intuition, for example, is that women with tattoos and who smoke give
better blow jobs - but that's just not always correct. Ask my wife.)

Anyways, I've gone through the first twenty five pages of multiple google
searches seeking reliable data and there's not a single reference I can
find that says you'll generally get better gas mileage.

All the reliable references already listed in this thread say that "it
depends" on a number of factors, the most important of which is the torque
curve of the vehicle, and the resulting contact patch width but also the
rubber itself matters greatly.

For those who consider Car Talk reliable, here's what they say.
http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/tom-ray...ter-new-pickup

"TOM: You'll get better mileage on the highway [with smaller wheels]."
"RAY: Smaller wheel-tire combinations provide better mileage (city and
highway), better acceleration and a quieter, more comfortable ride."
"TOM: And the extra weight of the larger wheels ... cuts into your
acceleration and fuel economy."