Posted to alt.home.repair
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= is offline

Default No cash accepted

rbowman posted for all of us...

On 07/17/2017 11:00 PM, wrote:
Clear glass may be good for jars but mixed, colored glass is not
useful for much except maybe brown beer bottles and they seem too
uniform to be using much in the way of other colors.
I agree, if you can hit the glass plant throwing your empty, it may be
worth recycling them but trucking glass half way across the country is
not.

I once hauled aluminum cans for LA to the Kaiser Mead smelter north of
Spokane. That marvelous idea, energy deregulation, put paid to that. It
eventually became more profitable for Kaiser to resell the electricity
than run a smelter.

The smelter was originally run by Alcoa and its output helped build the
planes that won WWII. It's like the Springsteen song 'Youngstown':

"Well my daddy come on the Ohio works
When he come home from World War Two
Now the yard's just scrap and rubble
He said "Them big boys did what Hitler couldn't do."
These mills they built the tanks and bombs
That won this country's wars
We sent our sons to Korea and Vietnam
Now we're wondering what they were dyin' for "

Somebody made money from deregulation but it wasn't the 400 people that
were laid off when the smelter was shut down and scrapped for the copper.

Al Gore

--
Tekkie